10.04.2005

Death and all that

In 1994 during my senior year at Portland High School My Uncle Russell suffered a stroke. At the time I thought it the worst thing to see him paralyzed on one entire side of his body but grateful that he was too stubborn to go just then. Selfish I know but I was not ready then.

At 1:30 am on 9/21/2005 I received a call from my baby sister Catherine telling me that my Uncle had a stroke and this time he was not going to be able to cheat death. This one had hit on the other side and towards the middle instead of the outside. If he survived, he would be a vegetable but there was little chance of survival. Conrad drove me up to Norway because I had taken a sleep aid that night in order to get a full night sleep and of course it was kicking in around the time of the call. When I got there he was in a coma and that morning was pronounced brain dead. Family was called and all of those that made the trip that night stayed to discuss the rights and wrongs of such things as last rights and discontinuing life support. I got home at 7:30 that morning took a nap and drove back up to Norway for the remainder of the day. Over the next week I spent every moment I could up at the hospital but Uncle Russell never pulled out of the coma. I watched his breathing get more ragged and heard the death rattle that I have heard in both my Grandmothers and my friend Scott’s passing. I went there with the hope of seeing him pull through but also for the support of my family. It was an hour and fifteen minute drive one way but worth it. Family started arriving over the next few days and I believe the hospital kept him on fluids right up until the last of us arrived. Some flew in from Florida, some from Georgia and a van full of relatives descended last minute from Colorado. All of his sisters, brothers, kids, and even his 78-year-old father, made it in to say goodbye. The only nieces to live in Maine showed as well. What can I say the man was well loved.

On the afternoon of 9/25/2005 he passed on. One moment he was breathing and the next there was nothing. The Doctors said there was no pain that he had no brain activity and the only reason his body had continued to function up until that point was from the memory of doing so for fifty-five years. In my opinion, he was just too damned obstinate to go until the last person had arrived. That’s my family, Grandma did the same thing when she passed in 1997 only she came out of the coma long enough to tell us she saw angels and was going home.

Since my Uncles passing I have spent time with the family listening to stories about his exploits as a child and his adventures as an adult. He was a Vietnam Vet with a Purple Heart. A hell raiser but a devote catholic. He was an alcoholic but gentle with children and animals alike. He’s the only hunter I’ve ever heard of who went hunting one day and brought back a pet deer instead of dinner and once when I was young he promised to give me his purple corvette. For years he told me it was in the mail. I spoke at his funeral and told my own stories and how much I respected and loved the man and how he was my favorite Uncle.

He is not in pain and I know I will be fine but I will miss the hell out of him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home